Thursday, March 20, 2008

The ACC Wall: dedicated to Sir Arthur C Clarke…


Dear Friends, Earthlings and ET’s (as Arthur would often say),

After completing 90 orbits around the Sun, Sir Arthur rests in peace; perhaps now enjoying wandering in space or spending time with the dinosaurs he used to dream of. His passing was a great loss to all of us around the world. Although his personal odyssey here on Earth is now over, his unparalleled vision of the future will lives on through his writing; and will inspire many generations to come.

The” ACC Wall” blog is dedicated to Sir Arthur Clarke (1917 – 2008). I kindly request all his friends, admirers and fans to write your condolence messages or notes of appreciation on to this “ACC Wall” as a comment.

He will always live through our hearts and souls.


Clear Skies

Thilina Heenatigala
General Secretary
Sri Lanka Astronomical Association
Colombo, Sri Lanka.

e: thilina_atn @ yahoo.com
p:+94-716245545
w: http://thilinaheenatigala.blogspot.com/



Other Links
Official death announcement
EGOGRAM 2008 – Sir Arthur C Clarke
Sir Arthur C Clarke’s 90th Birthday blog.
ACC 90th birthday celebration
ACC 90th Birthday reflection video






6 comments:

John C. Sherwood said...

Thank you, Thilina, for making this blog available to honor Sir Arthur. His work will always be remembered, and he left a legacy that we can only hope to equal. -- John C. Sherwood at MysteryVisits.com

Anonymous said...

RIP a long time fan and admirer - Andrew Glinn andrew@glinn.org

Anonymous said...

When I began to read science fiction,and really get into it there were 2 writers that inspired me more than any others. One was Asimov, and the other was Clarke. I loved Asimov's robots and he was a real character but I much preferred Clark's works. But it all started for me when I saw 2001. I had never seen space depicted so beautifully yet truthfully. For me before and since every other film was sci-fi, but this movie was proper SF! Then I found an old paperback copy of the book and read it immediately. After that I had to find more and have now read most his novels. His worlds are so real, reading them makes me want to be up there, beyond the clouds, sharing his ever child like sense of wonder. He has been a great influence and continues to be so. Long live Sir Arthur, perhaps we'll meet one day and I can actually, or at least virtually, shake your hand.
You have a lot fans and will be.missed dearly!

Your fan in England,
Larry

Anonymous said...

my memories of Arthur date back to 1955 as we swam on the Sri Lanka's reefs together as members of the Ceylon Reefcombers Club.
Always a gentleman and ready with a humorous quip.

Gone now but never forgotten..

Rest in peace Arthur.



Jack
Jakmor

Unknown said...

Dr.Clarke's writngs inspired me and then he helped me to learn the most addictive and most facinating subject "Astronomy" by directing me to become a member of ASSC(Astronomy & Space Study Center) in 1982.

His great work will remain forever to help and to inspire those who explore the universe!!!!!!!

Geethani Wijesinghe

whabbear said...

I always had a fantasy that when I finished my dissertation (which happened back in 1987), I'd reward myself by traveling to Sri Lanka, "dropping in" on Sir A, and getting him to sign a copy, as he was on the short list of people who I acknowledged as providing key inspiration for the work.

Alas, the trip remained just a dream, and I have now lost my chance to ever meet him in person. However, the published portion of the dissertation has been cited in over 100 subsequent journal articles, so the fruits of his inspiration live on!

Many thanks to Hector and the Ekanyake family for nurturing and supporting him all these many years.